Young Carers Service Cheshire West & Chester
Supporting the Young Carers of Cheshire West & Chester
Life as a young carer can be challenging. If you are between 5 and 18 years old and help look after someone at home who is ill, or has a mental or physical disability, we are here to help you.
What might a young carer do?
- Practical tasks, such as cooking, housework, shopping and family budgeting
- Emotional support, such as talking to someone who is distressed
- Personal care, such as helping someone out of bed with a hoist and to help them to dress
- Helping with siblings
- Helping to give medicine, collecting prescriptions
How a caring role can affect a young carer:
- Emotionally – putting others first, being worried anxious or stressed
- Physically – Suffering strains from heavy lifting, not looking after their own health
- Socially – Not able to meet up with friends
- Educationally – Difficulties concentrating in class, feeling tired, worried, no time for homework
How Crossroads Together can help:
- Personal development sessions
- Time away from caring responsibilities
- Meet other young carers
- Online Zoom groups when we can’t meet face to face
- Day trips for each age group, to be decided by the group
- Someone to listen and a place to talk
- Information and funding advice
Young Carers in Schools
YCiS is a free initiative that makes it as easy as possible for schools to support young carers, and awards good practice.
Run jointly by Carers Trust and The Children’s Society, the Young Carers in Schools (YCiS) programme works with schools across England to share good practice, provide relevant tools and training, and to celebrate the great outcomes that many schools achieve for young carers.
At Crossroads Together, we have a dedicated YCiS project worker who works in partnership with schools across Cheshire West & Chester to support them to achieve their award.
If you ‘d like to find out more, please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org
Get In Touch
Contact us using the details below or complete the form to arrange a callback.
Arrange a call back...